GMS Community Association (GMSCA)
Mission Statement of the GMSCA: The GMS Community Association is a dynamic, inclusive organization that strives to enrich the school experience for all. We foster a vibrant school community, and serve to bridge and connect home and school while supporting the mission and goals of GMS.
The GMS Community Association (GMSCA):
- Collaborates to respond to community needs,
- Communicates openly and regularly,
- Facilitates opportunities for cultural and social gatherings,
- Supports volunteerism,
- And cultivates an outreach and support network for GMS families.
All GMS parents, extended family members, teachers and staff are considered members of the GMS Community Association (GMSCA), and are invited to participate in the association’s activities. Opportunities for involvement abound!
The work of the GMSCA is guided collaboratively by a Steering Committee that meets monthly (or more often as needed) and includes representatives from each GMSCA committee, each division (including toddler, primary, lower el, upper el and middle school) and the GMS staff.
There are four working committees in addition to the Steering Committee. Below us a list of the committees and some of the activities they support:
- Outreach Committee - welcoming new families to our school, bolstering our presence in the greater Greensboro community and hosting coffee socials for families to meet one another.
- Events Committee - planing and hosting many GMS hallmark events including: Fall Festival, International Fair and the Green & White Bash.
- Communications Committee - sharing the comings and goings of the GMSCA via Facebook (you can friend us!) and quarterly newsletters.
- Finance and Fundraising Committee - keeping the GMSCA ‘in the black’ and supporting fundraising for the school
Each division is also represented on the Steering Committee by a Division Coordinator, who serves as a liaison to room parents volunteering at each level.
The Steering Committee is facilitated by a Lead Coordinator(s) who holds the global view of all GMSCA activities to promote interdependence and cohesiveness in the work of individual committees toward the vision of the GMSCA.
Some regular activities/events that are sponsored or supported by the GMSCA include: new family welcome/ outreach events, community service opportunities, Fall Festival, fall and spring community garden workdays, fall and spring book fairs, International Fair, The Green and White Bash (spring fundraising event). Check out the Photo Gallery.